Saturday, December 26, 2015

Interview with an Awesome Dad – Michael Coirazza

Name:                  Michael Coirazza             
Twitter:                @michaelcoirazza
Instagram:          mcoirazza
Kids (age):          Sacha, 2 ½ & Adrian, 3 months

What is the best part of being a father?
The best part about being a father is EVERYTHING! As much as I may complain about sleepless nights, runny noses, poopy diapers, wet bed sheets, just seeing the smiles on my sons’ faces and the way Sacha hugs me and says “Daddy, I love you” makes it all worthwhile.
 
What are the most important qualities you want to teach your kids? Why?
I always tell Sacha that it is very important to be polite to people, because when you are nice to them, they are nice to you! I always encourage him to say please and thank you (in 3 languages of course!) and the same will apply to Adrian when he is old enough to understand.

What is your best quality as a dad (What makes you an Awesome Dad)? What do you want to work on?
I think that my best quality would be that I am involved in my sons’ lives. I love spending time with them, whether it’s playing with trucks, coloring, eating together, bath time, story time and bed time, or teaching them about how the Habs, Impact and Juventus are the best!

I would need to work on my patience sometimes. As a chef, I am used to everything being done at quick pace, and sometimes I have to remind myself that getting dressed, or putting on boots, or eating dinner MAY and WILL take A LOT longer than I ever expected.

Favorite activity with your kids?
Watching soccer and hockey, and cooking of course!

Best moment as a dad?
Every moment. I can’t pin point an exact one, not yet anyway.

If you could give ONE piece of advice to someone who is about to become a father, what would it be?
For all you guys out there who are about to be fathers, my word of advice to you is “Don’t slack off”, and by that I mean get involved! These days, a father’s role is not like that of previous generations. So if you think that changing diapers, going to Dr.’s appointments, doing bottle feedings in the middle of the night is a “Mom job”, you’re wrong! These are the precious moments that you will have with your child that help in their development and you create a lifelong bond with them, and you will be surprised at how you are able to love someone so much, that you can’t contain yourself. Oh! And be careful what you say around toddlers, they are like a hybrid of a sponge and a parrot; they absorb and repeat everything you say!

What is the best advice you’ve received about becoming a father? The worst?
Best advice: Accept life for what it is now, and everything will be ok
Worst advice: Whiskey helps calm a teething baby (PS. I DID NOT give my baby alcohol!)

Any embarrassing moments as a dad (aka Dad Fails)?
Dad fails: taking way too long to put a fresh diaper on my baby boy. I’ve been pooped and peed on a countless amount of times.
                                                                                 
What is your biggest fear as a father?
My biggest fear would be that my boys grow up and become disrespectful towards others. We are now living in an age where race and religion have a huge impact on our perception of others and I try to teach Sacha that everyone is equal, no matter what color their skin is. We have enough bigots in our society and I pray that my boys don’t ever become one.

Fast forward 20 years. What would you want your child to say about you as a dad when they look back at their childhood?
I hope that one day my boys will look back on their childhood and say « We were lucky to have such a great dad who was always there to play with us, drive us to practice, cooked for us and was ready to help us no matter what”

Anything else you want to say? Funny story? A Dad quote?
Being a dad is the greatest honor, I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world. It’s not always easy, but is it ever worth it! I have had rotten days at work and the moment I step foot in the house and see the looks on their face when I walk through the door just washes all the negativity away.

Funny story... anything and everything that comes out of a 2 ½ year old’s mouth is hilarious, especially when they imitate you while watching the game “ah! C’mon!!!   Shoot!   Are you serious ref!?”

I don’t know who said this but I saw this when I was a boy and never forgot it “Anyone can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment